In this post I will lay out a campaign platform for anyone wishing to run for the House or Senate willing to fix our broken "capitalistic democracy". No country can be strong without a strong middle class and a strategic energy policy. So, the central theme in this strategy is to strengthen the middle class by:
1) Becoming less dependent on foreign oil.
2) Reindustrializing America by leveraging its abundant, clean, and cheap natural gas reserves in the transportation sector and implementing a strategic, long-term, comprehensive energy policy like this one:
3) Implementing a flat income tax. No loopholes, lawyers, or accountants. You make it, you pay it. You make a $25 million dollar reward bonus for bankrupting your company, you pay the tax man. You have 3 kids and make $50k, you don't.
4) A consumption based sales tax. You buy a $2 million dollar yacht, you pay. You buy a $300 canoe, you don't.
5) Pay down the debt by intelligently setting rates on items 3. and 4. such that the very wealthy pay their fair share, and the middle class are not overburdened.
6) Institute term limits in Congress.
7) Campaign Finance reform. Kick all lobbyists out of the halls of Congress when it is in session. We must keep corporate money out of legislation (or at least TRY to).
8) Abolish the Federal Reserve and go back to a gold and silver monetary standard.
9) Break up the NYC/Wall Street Financial "inner circle" that controls both regulation and regulation enforcement. Seek jail terms not only for those outside the government, but those inside as well.
10) Bring the troops home! Stop fighting oil wars and wasting the country's wealth abroad. Scale down defense expenditures abroad and instead strengthen our home borders, ports, and infrastructure.
That's it. That is all there is to it.